Sisters of Mercy - The Complete History
Click on the images above to view a larger version and/or slideshow
St Francis Xavier School, which was established in 1935 and operated by the Sisters of Mercy, has undergone many changes throughout its history.
Significant Events in the Life of the School
- 1935 - St Francis Xavier Catholic Primary School was built. 23 children enrolled on first day.
- 1936 - School/Church officially opened and blessed by Bishop of Rockhampton - Most Rev. Romuald Hayes D.D.
Additional wooden building erected - present building facing Bridge Road
- 1949 - Sisters of Mercy Convent opened and blessed by Bishop of Rockhampton - Most Rev. Andrew Tynan D.D. - dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima
- 1951 - Presbytery in Holland Street built
- 1958 - Church of England building and grounds opposite church purchased. Little Flower Infants School was founded on this site
- 1962 - St Francis Xavier Church erected and blessed
- 1968 - Parents and Friends Association formed. Foundation President - Mr Brian Power
- 1980 - St Francis Xavier School Board formed. Inaugural Board Chairman - Mr Brian Power
- 1982 - Modern Infants' School in main school grounds constructed.
- 1985 - Further school buildings including library and staff facilities built. Opened and blessed by Bishop of Rockhampton Most Rev. B J Wallace DD. New St Francis Xavier Parish Hall constructed.
- 1988 - St Francis Xavier Parish Hall extension constructed.
- 1992 - Preschool officially opened by Senator, The Hon. Margaret Reynolds, Minister for Employment, Education and Training. Preschool blessed by Bishop of Rockhampton Bishop Brian Heenan D.D.
- 1997 - St Francis Xavier Long Day Care Centre officially opened. New Administration building constructed.
- 2002 - Staffrooom, Year 1 Classrooms and Computer Laboratory constructed.
- 2006 - Additional Prep Classroom constructed and original preschool renovated. Block A Ground floor classrooms renovated.
- 2007 - Block A Upper floor classrooms renovated.
- 2011 - School Hall renovated. Additional building containing 3 GLA's, Tuckshop, Library and Learning Support Room. Administration buiding and Staffroom renovated. Undercover Area extended.
- 2016 - Original wooden school building demolished with 10 new classrooms erected on the original school building site.
- 2017 - Blessing of Mercy Place, Block B renovations, IT and Counsellor Rooms constructed.
- 2018 - St Francis Xavier Long Day Care closed and building renovated to become St Francis Xavier Kindergarten.